In attendance: Stephanie Parreira, Thomas Morrill, Chris Mihiar, Kris Osterloh, Vance Almquist, Clint Mattox, Zhian Kamvar; Angela McClendon

Meeting called to order at 5:04 PM

Minutes from 4-19-2016 – Approved

Email Decision – Approved all-member email about GMM.

GMM Debrief – Well, that was an adventure. We had a booking mixup and held our Spring GMM last Thursday on the lawn behind the Senior Center. Luckily, it did not rain on us. The pasta dinner was tasty, but difficult logistically to prepare in that quantity. In the future we’ll probably keep pasta for smaller meetings. Our alcohol permit was only valid inside the Senior Center, so unfortunately we weren’t able to serve the beer and cider we’d purchased. Kris invited everyone to his house for an after-party to serve the kegs; quite a lot is still left and will go to Trivia Night next week. Our GMM turnout seemed rather low – probably around 70-75 people. We need to figure out how to increase turnout. Kris suggests more advertisement around campus (like posters). Thomas suggests having departmental meetings before the GMMs to help people feel better informed about the issues we’ll be discussing at the GMM. We’ll plan to talk about turnout more at the Strategic Retreat. Vance reports that some people told him they didn’t really like the stand up-sit down kind of bargaining input we tried. It was a little confusing and they thought people didn’t feel they could be honest by, for example, standing up about an insurance number when everyone around them was sitting down. We also collected input on people’s sheets of paper and through discussion at the meeting

Bargaining Update – We bargained yesterday. The plan was to talk about OSU’s language on the health insurance article and parking permits, discuss more on length and notice of appointment, and introduce “summer sandwich” tuition waivers (but didn’t have time for that one). Parking permits: they’ve offered pretax payroll deductions for people on 9- or 12-month appointments, but not divided between the months – all in December. The admin team proposed automatic summer enrollment where grads would have to opt out of the April-May-June deductions. Sherm said he talked with a few of the deans to ask if they think a late notice-of-appointment penalty fee would be an effective way to incentivize getting notices out in a timely manner; he says one of them said yes and the others said no. Clint observes that the only real financial gain the admin team is currently proposing is the SEVIS/visa reimbursement, so CGE should feel free to push for more financial gains like insurance contribution. Our next session will be Friday, May 6th. The CGE team will bring back language edits on insurance and parking, as well as a proposal on the summer sandwich like GTFF has at UO. The admin team will bring back research on departments that would be most affected by increasing the minimum FTE. At the following session on May 13th, we should be able to finish presenting our non-financial interests.

PSU Home Visits Debrief – Zhian, Kevin Weitemier, and Trang Dang went up to Portland last Saturday to work with the PSU GEU campaign. The day’s goal was to get 17 new authorization cards and they got 18! The campaign is about 22 cards away from their goal of 65%. Zhian believes the deadline for the campaign is the end of this week.

May Day Readers’ Theatre – This is on Sunday, May 1st at 7 PM. Thomas will be participating. Ashley already created an event on FB that we’ll invite people to. Stephanie will email the Social List about it.

Trivia Night – This is next Thursday, May 5th at 7 PM. Vance will write the questions and Kris will host. There’s some beer and cider left from the GMM; Kris will bring his taps. We’ll buy some snacks at Winco; the EC approves up to $50. Zhian will put up an FB event and we’ll all invite all our friends. Stephanie will send Social List emails on Sunday and Wednesday. Vance was on the winning team last time, so he’ll track down the trophy.

Great Cover-Up – This is Friday and Saturday, May 6th and 7th, both nights at Luckey’s in Eugene. We’ll promote it on the Social List as well as invite our friends to the FB event that GTFF made.

Solidarity Fair – Clint has been attending the planning meetings. The group is feeling a little tight on the budget this year. Several of the participating groups have said they’ll contribute money (for example, SEIU 503 will give $503). CGE typically contributes through turnout efforts and food. Clint wonders if this year, CGE would be willing to contribute $60.69 in addition to the lunch we’re already planning to provide. The EC approves giving $60.69 if it ends up being needed to cover event expenses.

LBL-CLC Meeting – Clint attended this meeting last week. From the Steelworkers rep, he learned that the ATI lockout is over and almost everyone is back to work. Unfortunately for some people, their jobs were no longer available because of corporate restructuring during the lockout. Clint says the union is working through grievances/mediation for those people.

Executive Session

Meeting adjourned at 6:12 PM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.