As a labor union, CGE is sometimes asked by our members, friends, and others to participate in action surrounding labor solidarity, social justice issues, and political action.
Specifically, we consider the following circumstances to be ones where CGE should take action:
- When a parent union or other organization claiming to represent CGE members speaks on behalf of us in a way that is inconsistent with the majority opinion of CGE members, as expressed through either the leadership of CGE or directly through the membership.
- When an issue directly affects any graduate employee’s right or ability to work at OSU.
- When an issue directly affects the working conditions of any graduate employee at OSU.
- To express solidarity with other unions or workers, unless the request is inconsistent with the majority opinion of CGE members, as expressed through either the leadership of CGE or directly through the membership.
- To ensure that all CGE members are afforded dignity and respect and receive fair and equitable treatment.
- To support labor and education policy that directly affects OSU and thus OSU employees.
These guidelines are informed by our mission, vision, and values statements.
When making the decision to take such action, an effort will be made to make the decision at the highest level (membership > steward council > executive council) possible while remaining timely. You can find our specific process for making such decisions here.
You can find an archive of recent actions here.
Have a request for action? Make it here.
Disagree? Let us know here.